Blog / December 14th, 2020
Festive Fun 2020
Welcome to Girlguiding Anglia’s Festive Fun 2020
This year we felt as many of our members have still been unable to meet face to face that we would host a few hours of festive fun to bring our region together virtually one last time in 2020.
We want to say a huge thank you to you all for the amazing things you have done to keep our guiding light shining in 2020. It’s been a difficult year in many ways, but we have been inspired by our members with the wonderful things you have achieved and the challenges you have faced.
Festive Fun takes place on Saturday 19 December 2020 from 3pm. There will be songs, stories, activities and videos for you to enjoy, all linked together using Facebook and YouTube as we’ve done before with our Midsummer and Under the Stars challenges.
The programme line up for the afternoon is below, but please don’t worry if you can’t join us on the afternoon, we will keep all posts and videos online for you to complete at your leisure.
We have two activity themes, Community and Creative, plus our ‘crack us up’ competition. There are no rules to this challenge, you can do as many activities as you wish and please continue to do them over the holidays if you fancy.
- Community Cheer
- More than ever this year we’ve been grateful for our guiding and local communities, this activity calls for you to do something to bring some cheer within your community. It could be a litter picking walk, organising a food drop at a local food bank or decorating your window to suit the season. Share your ideas and stories with us on social media.
- 12 Days of Kindness Calendar
- This year is the perfect opportunity to take on a kindness advent calendar. There are so many great examples around to give you inspiration. We’ve created a 12 days of kindness calendar for you to download, fill in and then cross off over the holidays. We’d love to collate a 24 Day Advent Calendar for our 50th birthday next year so please share your best ideas to inspire us. You can download the calendar here.
- NHS activity
- Mid and South Essex Health and Care Partnership have shared a great ‘creative kindness’ challenge, you make a decoration and dedicate it your hero of 2020. Check out their challenge pack for full details. You can find the resource on our website here.
- There’s also a bonus activity if you’re a keen knitter, how about knitting some Twiddle Muffs, read here for more information.
- Create a homemade gift or card for a friend or family member
- Guiding Light
- Earlier in the year some of our members helped us to create our Pass the Candle video, cheering us up as lockdown got underway. We loved this video so much we wanted to share it with you again and we’ve also created a Guiding Light picture that you can download and colour in here. Share your creative talents to light up our social media channels.
- Alternatively, light your own Guiding Light this evening and share your pictures across our social media channels to show the strength of our guiding community.
- Rhymes, Riddles and Rambles
- During lockdown we launched our creative writing challenge, ‘Rhymes, Riddles and Rambles’. If you haven’t done this yet, why not give it a go with a festive or seasonal twist? The pack can be found here, and we still have some badges left to order. To inspire you we’ve created a montage of our previous entries.
- Nature collage
- The great outdoors is full of materials to make a picture, collage or model. Get outside and collect some natural resources and then get creative. Share your creative ideas with us.
- Christmas truffles
- One of our leaders shared a recipe she’d found for making chocolate truffles. These are great to make with friends over Zoom or with your family at home. Give them a go, keep them for yourself or share as a gift. You can find the ingredients and method on the resource here.
- Santa Origami
- There are so many festive crafts available to on the internet, we loved this easy to follow Santa Origami one, as shared by one of our region lead volunteers, which can be found here.
- Christmas Card
- Leader, Deborah, has shared a great video on how to make your own Christmas card. Catch her video at 3.30pm or download the written resource here.
- Christmas Cracker
- Ellen, a Brownie from Norfolk has shared a lovely written resource and video with us for making crackers. Take a look at the resource and her video will show at 3.45pm
‘Crack Us Up’ Competition
After a year like 2020 we all need to have a good laugh, so we launching our ‘crack us up’ competition. We want you to send us your best joke, either a video of you telling the joke or it written down. The top 3 entries will receive a region goodie bag. T’s & C’s are below:
- All entries to be received by 3 January 2021
- For your entry to be considered we ask that you like our Facebook page and share the competition post with your friends
- If you enter with a video please ensure you where relevant you have permission to do so and ensure no one else is in the video
- Winners will be announced in our January newsletter and shared on social media
3pm Welcome video
3.05pm 12 Days of Kindness calendar activity
3.15pm Rhymes, Riddles and Rambles montage
3.30pm Christmas Card video
3.45pm Christmas cracker video
4pm Guiding Light video
4.10pm ‘crack us up’ competition
4.20 Snowman Hot Chocolates – www.kidspot.com.au/kitchen/recipes/annabel-karmels-hot-chocolate-snowmen-recipe/hv7kdey2
4.40 We Wish You A Merry Christmas video
4.42 12 Days of Guiding challenge
4.50 Bedtime Story and Festive Cheer