Blog / May 12th, 2020
Volunteers Week 2020
Volunteers Week this year runs from Monday 1 June to Sunday 7 June and this year more than ever we want to say a great big thank you to all our volunteers and here are some of the reasons why:
- Without our amazing volunteers, over 50,000 girls and young women in our region, would miss out on all of the opportunities Girlguiding provides.
- Without our amazing volunteers, there wouldn’t be over 3,500 Rainbow, Brownie, Guide and Ranger groups in Anglia.
- Without our amazing volunteers, we wouldn’t have raised funds to cover over 1050 nursing hours for Macmillan during our region partnership.
- Without our amazing volunteers, many units would not have tried virtual or remote guiding during the Coronavirus lockdown.
- Without our amazing volunteers, girls and young women would miss opportunities to take part in Starburst and Supanova.
- Without our amazing volunteers, lifelong friendships would have never been formed.
- Without our amazing volunteers, Girlguiding wouldn’t be a leading voice for girls and young women across the UK.
This is just a snippet of the fabulous opportunities our amazing volunteers offer to girls and young women in our region and we all thank you.
We have had to change our plans for Volunteers Week 2020 but we still want to make it a huge celebration and we would love our young members to get involved if they can. Here are some ways to take part:
Thank you video
We had so many videos submitted for our guiding light project that we’d like to make an even bigger one giving you the opportunity to say thank you to our volunteers across Anglia. We would like you to:
- Make a poster saying thank you. Use any materials you have at home, it just needs to contain the words ‘Thank You’.
- Film yourself (or ask someone to help you) on a camera such as a phone – start with your poster next to the camera and bring it back until you can see the poster and yourself, bring the poster forward to the camera again ending up against the camera just as you started.
- Tips to follow: make sure your camera is in landscape (on its side), try to keep your video to a maximum of 5 seconds – this way we can use more of your photos in the overall film.
- When you are happy with your film email it to our communications team (email@example.com) with the title ‘Thank you video’, make sure you attach your signed photo permission which can be found here.
Should you need inspiration an example video will be made available here shortly as well as on our social media.
We will endeavour to use as many as we can in the video we will put out on our social media channels on Monday 1 June however all those we can’t fit in we will add to a larger video shared later on our YouTube channel.
The deadline for receiving these videos is 9am on Monday 25th May 2020.
What does guiding mean to you?
We asked our members in a survey recently what guiding meant to them. There have been so many amazing responses and we will share some of them on Wednesday 3 June and start a conversation on our social media channels.
Our volunteers work so hard for guiding that sometimes it can be easy to lose sight of the difference they actually make to peoples lives. We hope these lovely stories will bring some positivity to all our members when we need it the most during this difficult time.
Interactive thank you wall
From Friday 5 June to Sunday 7 June 2020 we will be running interactive message boards. These will be available for all our members to leave messages of thanks and recognition to their unit leaders, helpers, administrators, treasurers, coordinators, commissioners and the whole range of other roles which make guiding in Anglia possible. Details of how to add your own personal message will be given on social media and via this website nearer the time.