Blog / June 30th, 2023
2023 FIFA Women’s World Cup
After the excitement of last year’s Euros, many more young women now see football as accessible and exciting. 1 leader in Anglia now has a quarter of her Guides playing in the local league!
Here are some ideas from young members of 1st Fakenham Guides on what they’ll be doing in their World Cup-themed evening.
- Come in your football kit or you could amend 1 of the recycled fashion UMAs and create you’ve very own team kit.
- Everyone loves a trophy – design and create a trophy for the winner of your competition. You could amend the Build a Beast Guide UMA and turn this into creating a mascot instead.
- Make the tallest goalpost possible. With limited materials, the group that can make the tallest goalpost (tower) in a set time is the winner.
- Create a football pom pom. Create pom poms out of black and white wool for a football-themed craft activity.
- Football skills competition. Work in small groups to gain points in each of the following:
- Dribble the ball through a slalom of cones – 1st group with all team members back wins and good for smaller spaces where kicking a ball towards a goal isn’t an option.
- Penalty shoot-out competition into a goal or use a target area if your space is smaller with the closest to the centre target in 1 ‘kick’ being the winner.
- Passing practice – each group stands in a circle, how many times can they pass the ball between themselves without it leaving the circle?
- If using full-sized footballs isn’t an option for your space set up a table/floor football pitch. Use a ping pong ball or similar and set up 2 goals and use masking tape to mark basic pitch lines. Each team member gets a straw and takes it in turns to blow the ball towards the other team’s goal.
- Pin the badge on the football shirt.
Finally, you could get group members to pick 1 of the names of the teams out of a hat. Make bunting or flags so they can support the team throughout the competition. Parents can download a match tracker sheet from the Girlguiding Anglia website to help follow the progress of teams.